Monday, January 10, 2011

The British Food Challenge


Before moving any forward, lets get one thing straight. I am one of those people. The gluttonous and incorrigible ones who live and breathe food. I love everything about it, cooking it, reading about it, talking about it, eating it and sharing it with the people I care about. Try talking to me about food – my face will light up, my mouth will open and close at unthinkable speed and you will be my friend forever.

To bring the cliché back on the table, as a New Year’s resolution, I said I would fill my days with things I love doing. So, I put myself on a mission, named “Explore British food and report back to the people reading my blog” (a.k.a my mum). When I say British food, I in no sense mean eating at the 2336th mediocre Italian restaurant in London. No friends, I mean hard-core dwelling in the day-to-day comings and goings of traditional, contemporary and really fatty British food and produce.

Coming from a place where olive oil doubles as water, tomatoes can be eaten as apples and tangerines smell from a 100m distance, British food is the polar opposite of Greek cuisine. English cuisine generally comprises of roasted and stewed meats, meat pies, boiled vegetables and broths as well as many dishes whose roots can be found in Indian cuisine. And of course, one shouldn’t forget the British pastry making tradition, but all of these will be getting their own individual posts.

Fancy reading the documentations and reactions of a hungry Greek girl, ready to try all sorts of tasty, bizarre, fried and meaty British culinary eccentricities?

Brace yourselves; we’re about to go on a culinary trip across London (and possibly Britain.)


No comments:

Post a Comment